The Personal Trainer and other fitness and sports medicine professionals are well positioned to aid people in their goals for a healthier, happier life. However, this special populations segment of our society needs trainers to require additional knowledge, skills and abilities, to train these individuals safely and effectively. The Special Populations Trainer provides information on 49 conditions based on the most current clinical research, as well as the metabolic syndrome, stress and neuropsychiatric disorders and multiple chronic conditions and fibromyalgia.
This certification instructs trainers how to determine the functional capacity in persons with chronic diseases and disabilities and then provides exercise prescriptions that will produce optimal results while slowing/preventing exercise intolerance. With 92% of the population failing to exercise with the needed amount of exercise frequency, intensity, time or type to derive any health benefits, you cannot afford NOT to master the skills necessary to service this virtually untapped market.
Course Learning Objectives
- Learn how a shift is occurring in social awareness from curative medicine to palliative medicine
- Learn the major short comings of diagnosis-based oriented medicine
- Learn the advantages of problem-oriented exercise management
- Learn the importance of a comprehensive review of your client’s medical history, including current complaints or symptoms before beginning any type of exercise testing, or exercise prescriptions.
- Learn how to assess your clients exercise testing results.
- Know how the different diseases, disabilities and dysfunctions might limit the functional capacity of your clients
- Know the physiological nature of each of the 49 different diseases, disabilities and dysfunctions
- Know the effect on the exercise response and exercise training each disease, disability and dysfunction will have on your client.
- Know the exercise testing recommendations for each disease, disability and dysfunction.
- Know the proper exercise programming for each disease, disability and dysfunction
- Understand the risk of exercise in the care and treatment of chronic diseases and disabilities
- Understand the benefit of exercise in the care and treatment of chronic diseases and disabilities
- Understand the precautions in exercise testing and prescription for children with diseases, disabilities and dysfunctions
- Understand how to manage exercise in persons with multiple chronic conditions
- Understand the proper approach to exercise and disease management
Certification Package Contents
- Study Guide
- 100 question (multiple choice, open book) certification exam
- You will receive the links to the course materials and exam within 24-48hrs of purchase.
- CPR/First Aid Certified highly recommended, but not required.